Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Homeschool Happenings


The Princess has been doing really well in her studies!

I just signed her up for a geography fair, with Italy as her country, so if you've got any connections to Italy, let us know!

I'm amazed at her math. She picks it up so fast. She's been doing some books that my sister gave me that were leftover from her class, and she's on the fourth one! They're really pretty easy for her, some days we do eight pages. I'm trying to supplement with other printables I've been finding that look pretty cool, and she seems to enjoy them.

Reading is fun. She gets so excited when she can read words! We have two more days of work, and then we are half-way done with her Kindergarten phonics program. Did we do phonics as kids? I don't remember learning how to read. She's understanding it, and doing well in it, so we'll continue on this course. I really like how idiot proof the curriculum is. It's got bold letters to tell you what you should say, and then what she should say. It's great! Just what I wanted. So, if any of you out there are looking for a program like that, we use Saxon Phonics.

Hubby says he can tell that she's learning because she'll notice things. It makes me feel good as a mommy to know that I can do this. I know it's best for her.

Here's some happy highlights:

A month ago at Taco Bell drive thru
Her in the back seat - Hotttt Pe, pe, pep, pepp, er

Me - What honey?

Her - Mommy, that word is Hot, but that other word is not pepper

Me - (I turn to look at what she's talking about) Oh, honey that word is spot, it says hot spot.

Her - Why mommy, that's a picture of a pepper?

She was right, a picture of a pepper, on the wireless hot spot sign.


Last week - family date night
Princess got to choose - she chose milk and shake (what she calls steak and shake)

Her - Daddy, that sign doesn't say milk

Hubby - right, that says steak

Her - why?

Hubby - because that's what it's really called - steak and shake, not milk and shake

Her - hmmm


And finally - later that night shopping for new clothes for her - on sale of course!

Her - Daddy, that shirt says love on it!

Hubby - honey - she found the word love!

Me - Smile

No comments: